Thursday, April 27, 2017

Engaging Technology Games

            With the end of the year quickly approaching, I notice all the exhausted faces around me. Although the students are burnt out, time is still valuable and teaching must continue. I have really focused on implementing engaging technology games to review third grade standards. I want to ensure my students are comfortable with all the material learned this year before I send them off to fourth grade.

            One of my most favorite engaging technology games is Kahoot! If you haven’t tried Kahoot, I highly suggest trying it out. The best part about Kahoot is it’s a free and there are already teacher created lessons. Last week I found a teacher made Kahoot that focused on a variety of third grade standards. The students get to create their own names which appear on the projector throughout the game. The students use a code that you provide them with, which allows them to play. Once the game starts questions pop up and students must respond using their device. After all students answer the question, the correct answer is revealed and the students with the leading scores appear. I was shocked at how well my students did with this. Every single one of my students were engaged and had smiles on their faces. I also love the report side of Kahoot which allows teachers to run data to see student strengths and weaknesses. Give Kahoot a try if you haven’t already!

            Another engaging technology game is using Plickers to review. It’s very similar to Kahoot, but doesn’t require as much technology. Teachers need to have a projector and a phone with the Plickers app downloaded. The teacher can create a mini quiz or can find one that already exists. Students use Plicker cards that can be printed and downloaded from the Plickers website (the cards look similar to QR codes). Once a question pops up students hold up their cards to answer. Each side of the card has a different answer (A, B, C, D). The student holds the card up with their answer letter facing up. The teacher then uses their device to scan the room. The device will pick up all answers and project them on the board. Like Kahoot, teachers can also run data on Plickers to see student progress. Plickers is another must try!

Have you ever used Kahoot or Plickers in your classroom? How did it go? 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bianca!
    I'm glad you mentioned engaging students. I think it is imperative to find ways to engage students, and at this time of the year finding novel methods can be necessary to gain their attention. I have used Plickers in my classroom in the past and had mixed reviews. I loved the idea that you could create quizzes relatively quickly, but had difficulty with scanning students' cards. As an alternative, I used SMART response clickers which resembled the same idea. I found that using these strategies is a great way to gain students' attention on different topics and can spark great discussions on their thinking.
    -Cory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cory!

      Thank you for stopping by. I did have internet issues the first time I used them. Our school building doesn't get the greatest service, so I wasn't able to use them the first time. I had to connect to the school wifi in order to use it, but once I was connected it worked out well. I have not used the SMART response clickers before, but our school does have one set. I will have to give these a shot. Thanks!

      Bianca

      Delete
  2. Bianca,
    I enjoyed your post! I have never used Kahoot but my sister-in-law who is a Freshmen in college has told me about how her professors have used it and she loves it! I want to try and get familiar with the program and use it one day!
    I have however used Plickers. I have a love/hate relationship with it because its very useful for collecting data and getting quick feedback. On the other hand, it becomes time consuming because some students don't hold the card correctly or my device doesn't catch all students and I have to get closer or redo my first attempt. But it is a great tool and does have its advantages.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allysa,

      That's good to hear that your sister enjoys Kahoot! My students really enjoyed it as well. You made a good point about Plickers. It can be a little challenging at times, but the data collection is great.

      Thanks for commenting,
      Bianca

      Delete