Wednesday, March 1, 2017


Virtual Field Trips

Educational technology hardware is improving each year. Each time I speak with our “tech guy” he’s always informing me of the new technologies coming our way. Our school is slowing switching over from desktop computers to laptops (even for all the teachers). Eventually, teachers will have a touch screen they carry with them around the room that allows teachers to manipulate while teaching. I’m super excited about this and hope we get to experience this hardware soon. I have noticed with each piece of technology that is added to my classroom, I grow as a teacher.

One of my most recent interests with technology is virtual field trips. My class just finished our unit on Mexico. We learned all about Mexico’s culture and important landmarks.  The students were very interested in all the places Mexico has to offer. Many of my students will never have the opportunity to travel to these places, so I thought why not bring Mexico to them. I started searching for virtual field trips to Mexico and came across this awesome site. We decided as a class to bring in Mexican themed food while “visiting” Mexico. Below is a picture of my class visiting Teotihuacan Pyramid while enjoying some Mexican treats! If you can’t tell from the picture, they LOVED it! We even used Google Maps to visit some of our favorite places. Next stop, The Caribbean!


            It’s moments like these that make me appreciate technology. I was able to utilize technology to assist my students in making real life connections. Unfortunately, I was not able to make these connections when I was in elementary school because technology was not in the place it’s in today. I think it’s a wonderful experience not only for students, but also teachers to share these moments with each of them. I know that some students will reflect back on their elementary experience and remember their “field trip to Mexico.”  


References

Mexico Virtual Field Trip (2017). Retrieved from http://www.youvisit.com/tour/mexicocity/80648

9 comments:

  1. What a fascinating activity and I’m sure your students enjoyed the experience! I viewed the virtual trip to Mexico while I read your post. It’s amazing how technology allows us to cross international borders and explore interesting places around the world. I frequently use Google Maps to explore sites and to get a unique perspective. I also check EarthCam to see if there is a live camera feed available. I’m glad that you and your students have access to technology in your classroom and that you are using it to enrich your learning experiences! - Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed as well when I found that resource. It's amazing what technology has turned into. I have never tried EarthCam I will have to look into that. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bianca,

    I enjoyed reading your post! I have never used virtual field trips in my classroom, but now I am very interested in checking it out and seeing how I can incorporate it into my classroom.
    It is amazing how much technology has improved and allowed us to experience. Like you stated, "Many of my students will never have the opportunity to travel to these places," this is what makes it even more meaningful. Some students only know their state, city or just their communities. It is such a great way to expose them to other places and cultures. Through the use of these virtual field trips it seems like such a powerful experience.

    Another reason I truly enjoy this idea and experience, is because some schools aren't able to provide students with simple field trips in their area. Therefore, the students still feel like they are taking "trips" straight from the classroom and it's free!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allysa,

    It wasn't until taking this course which made me start thinking about virtual field trips. I started researching Google Cardboard, but unfortunately too much technology is needed for that. I started to try and think of ways around this and started searching virtual field trips.

    My students loved it! If you ever decide to take a "trip" with your class let me know. I would love to hear about someone else's experience. :)

    -Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bianca,
    This was a wonderful post as it made me think of ways to use this in my classroom. I have heard of virtual field trips, but haven't used them at this point. As part of the 4th grade curriculum, students often go to St. Augustine. However, virtual field trips would be great for students who cannot attend to visit and experience the town and history.
    -Cory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cory! It was so much fun! I would definitely recommend it. I'm looking forward to continuing this journey with my future classes as well :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, what creative, innovating and engaging activity. I bet your students were really excited as they were making connections to the unit they studied. I think you brought up a good point about not having opportunities like this when we were in school. Technology provides students with amazing experiences they may not be able to get any other way. With new technological advances happening every day, it is exciting to think what the future will hold regarding educational technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They loved it! We had so much fun.

      It's fascinating to see what we can bring to classrooms today because of technology. Thank you for commenting! :)

      Delete