Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Media Literacy

            Every teacher has experienced a moment when a student poses a question that the teacher may not have answers to. I can say it has definitely happened to me! It’s important that students understand when we do not know the answers to a question, we research and explore the world for answers. I have caught myself saying, “Great question, research the answer and bring it to class tomorrow.” With the world at our fingertips we can easily access information to all questions. However, is the information we read valid or opinionated?

            According to Herold (2016) fewer than 4 percent of 7th graders could correctly navigate the internet and determine the overall reliability of the information presented on a site. The University of Connecticut conducted a study and found many middle schoolers who believed that a new species of octopus lived in trees (clearly this is an issue). Herold (2016) also states “on every policy issue that has an impact on the daily life of ordinary citizens, there are private interests working to sway public opinion by pretending to be something they’re not. It misleads and blinds us” (para. 10).

            Is determining the reliability of resources properly being taught in classrooms? As educators, it’s important that we teach our students these critical thinking skills that will assist them when navigating resources. This skill is referred to as “media literacy- the ability to access, analyze, evaluate, and create information using multiple forms of communication” (Herold, 2016). So how do we do this? The National Center for Media Literacy Education explains that as teachers and students we must ask ourselves key questions:
·         Who paid for this?
·         When was it made?
·         Who might benefit?
·         What is left out of this message that may be important to know?
·         How was this information shared with the public?

Teachers can also require explanations on reference sheets. Students must provide clarification for each reference that was selected and how they distinguish if that source is reliable (Herold, 2016).

While teaching students media literacy it’s also vital that students understand plagiarism. I personally believe it’s important that we start students off as early as possible. For example, in third grade students practice finding evidence within the text to support their answer. I have noticed many students want to copy straight from the passage. I try to teach my students the importance of paraphrasing information and not taking credit for something that was not created by them. We practice many evidence based writing stems like: according to the text, the author states, in the story, etc. These are skills students will use for the rest of their academic careers. By teaching our students these habits early on, we are avoiding future issues with plagiarism and media literacy.


References

            Herold, B. (2016, December 8). Fake new, bogus tweets raise stakes for media literacy. Education Week. Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2016/12/08/fake-news-bogus-tweets-raise-stakes-for.html?preview=1&user_acl=0

7 comments:

  1. Bianca,

    When you said, "I can say it has definitely happened to me! It’s important that students understand when we do not know the answers to a question, we research and explore the world for answers. I have caught myself saying, “Great question, research the answer and bring it to class tomorrow," You are not the only one! I have found myself doing this multiple times as well.

    You bring some great issues up in your blog posting this week and research to support. It is very important like you said, that we need to start them young with citing and giving credit to the person who wrote it. I also emphasize to my third graders how important it is to use "text evidence starters", making sure students understand that those are the author's words not theirs.
    It is shocking, but not surprising to see "fewer than 4 percent of 7th graders could correctly navigate the internet and determine the overall reliability of the information." This is a taught practice, students need to know how to do this and as teachers in this digital age, we need to ensure we are modeling how to determine what is reliability and what is not.
    I actually just read an article with my higher level students about determining real news vs. fake news online. Students were able explain how fake news, like they said "sounds fake." However, when it sounded like it could be real, but it was just an opinion may confuse them to determine the difference.

    My biggest struggle has been helping my third grade students navigate through search tools such as google when researching.
    Do you have any advice or suggestions that you use that can help with younger students navigating through search tools?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa,

      It’s great to hear we are doing similar things with our third grade students. I find the text based evidence writing stems to be so helpful. I currently do not have any recommendations for searching on Google in the classroom. It honestly makes me nervous because I’m afraid of the information they may come across. Please let me know if you come across something! 
      Would you be able to share that real vs. fake article with me? It sounds interesting and I would love to use it with my kiddos. Thank you! :)

      -Bianca

      Delete
    2. The article can be found on the website called, "Newsela" you can create a free teacher account. They have current articles for all ages, you can look up lexile level, grade level or reading skill and search by most recent.
      Here's the link: https://newsela.com/

      Hope this helps! :)

      Delete
  2. Bianca,

    I truly believe that is impossible for teachers to have all of the answers to everything, so I love that you are not only able to admit that to your students, but have them bring in the correct information to share! I had similar experiences as an intern through UCF, and I found it slightly amusing when my students were shocked at the fact that I didn't have unlimited, infinite knowledge.

    As you point out, navigating the internet for good information is an enormous challenge. I myself struggle with it regularly, so children must even more so. It is unfortunate that private interests so often outweigh factual information. Media literacy is crucial, and I wish my teachers had included some of the points you make such as who paid for it as well as how exactly the information was shared. As a child, I was warned away from Wikipedia constantly when there were so many other sources I should have been pushed away from for academic information such as blogs and forums.

    I am glad you are giving your students media literacy skills early on. The internet only becomes more vast each day, and it is important we teach our students how to properly use it for academics. Thank you for your post!

    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma,

    I love the student’s reaction when I say I don’t know something as well. It’s important they understand it’s okay to not know the answers to everything.
    You made a good point when you said, “I was warned away from Wikipedia constantly when there were so many other sources I should have been pushed away from for academic information such as blogs and forums.” I remember so many of my teachers saying the same, however I never understood why they limited my research. This makes me realize that I was not properly taught how to research. I was just told what not to use, but I had no idea sources like Wikipedia were not reliable.

    -Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article! It is funny because even as an adult, I find myself "falling" for unreliable sources. Only a few weeks ago, a friend posted a Facebook article about craft stores getting rid of googley eyes because they do not depict eyes of all races. I was so confused until my friend pointed out the article was published on a website that focuses on "satire" article entries. Although I was a tad bit embarrassed for believing the article it taught me a valuable lesson. In addition to learning what is a reliable source, I also like that you pointed out using "critical thinking skills." It is always a plus when a lesson benefits a desired outcome and teaches our students how to think in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole,

    Oh no! You’re friend definitely got you haha. 
    We have to teach our students they can’t always believe what they hear.

    -Bianca

    ReplyDelete